Thursday 12 November 2009

Lacplesis day

Lacplesis Day

Latvian Freedom Fighters' Remembrance Day
It is a very important day in the life of every Latvian citizen. On November 11 1919, the Latvian Army fought and won a fierce battle against the Russian and German militia. This victory over the forces of Bermont-Avalov was instrumental in the birth of Latvia as an independent nation
... in celebrations of Lāčplēsis Day on November 11, people light candles by Riga Castle wall and at the pedestal of Freedom Monument.



Candles by Riga Castle wall


I with my daughters on 11.th of November 2009 at the Riga Castle wall

I at the pedestal of the Freedom Monument



My video from Lacplesis Day at the Freedom Monument (in the bacground you will hear Latvian folk song-" Bēdu manu lielu bēdu" ("Trouble - my big trouble" - my translation)



3 comments:

  1. Thank you for this glimpse of Latvian life.

    David

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is always a nice feeling when so many people come together to remember events.

    Are the two young girls your daughters>
    Sharon

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes these are my daughters. We every year go to light and put candles at the Freedom Monument as my grandad also was one who participated in these battles and had received Lacplesis order.

    ReplyDelete